#53. All Quiet on the Western Front
- Year: 1930
- Country: USA
- Language: English/French
- Production: Universal Pictures, 131m B&W
- Director: Lewis Milestone
- Producer: Carl Laemmle Jr.
- Screenplay: Erich Maria Remarque, Maxwell Anderson
- Photography: Arthur Edeson, Karl Freund
- Music: David Broekman, Sam Perry, Heinz Roemheld
- Cast: Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayers, John Wray, Arnold Lucy, Ben Alexander, Scott Kolk, Owen David Jr.
- Oscar Wins: Best Picture, Best Director
- Oscar Noms: Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography
- Blog Club Rating: 8.8/10
Abridged Book Description
Undiminished by time (and restored in 1998), this classic antiwar film, adapted from Erich Maria Remarque's novel, is a landmark for its vivid depiction of the Great War's tragedy from a German soldier's point of view, for its technically inventive, spectacular battle scenes (at the dawn of sound in film), and for its prescient denunciation of fanatic nationalism and militarism... All Quiet on the Western Front was only the third film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture, and war veteran Lewis Milestone received his second Oscar for direction. Interestingly, German censors passed the film despite violent protests by Nazi groups.